On Friday 04 July 2014 09:30:02 Stuart Stevenson did opine
And Gene did reply:

> I tend to use single flute router cutters for what you describe.
> Reverse helix will cause the cutters to push the material down rather
> than puck it up into the cutter and break it.

Humm,  The place where I've broken several of these SC mills, which are up
spiral 2 fluter's, seems to be when plowing the 2 circles, one to make a
center hole to make it fit the lathes spindle, and one for the outside
edge to cut the whole thing out of the sheet.  Going 1.5 thou deeper per
pass, 2.5 IPM is about as fast as I dare move at this leisurely, 2500
revs, spindle speed. Going to down spiral, there's no place for the chip
to go except up until it has holed thru, which it takes about 25 passes to
do.  I have considered doing a half a mill diameter offset on the scrap
side and doing two passes at each depth, but I don't know as I could gain
enough cutting speed to make up for doing each circle twice. I don't know
as my mill supplier, Midwest Circuit Specialties, can even supply a
straight flute or down spiral mill, and no single flute's that I know of.

Run time for the whole thing is most of a day, about 400 minutes as it is.
One code change that might help the finish, is the width of the slot is
set by a duty-cycle variable.  If I detect the last 2 passes where its
already holed thru and add 1%, that might serve to smooth up the sidewalls
of the slot.  In fact, I think I'll add that to the code even before I
make another disk.

[...]

Thanks Stuart.