On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> > Gene,
> >
> > Here's a really good ESR checker, for a whole lot less (if you buy it
> > in kit form, takes less than an hour to solder and assemble):
> >
> >  http://www.flippers.com/BlueEsr.html
> >
> > Mark
>
> Interesting Mark. I saw one comment about its lack of static protection,
> and I noted it uses a 100 millivolt signal, doesn't say what frequency.
> The 100 millivolt can turn on some of the schotkey diodes in the various
> semiconductors which may effect ts accuracy.  Also, the high priced model
> has a single cable probe that splits into two probes that are heavily gold
> plated to reduce the chance of a bad contact, and has an analogue taut
> band meter for instant response.  I suppose the digitals 4 samples a
> second could be gotten used to. Given those limitations, its not that
> badly priced.  At 80 bucks for the kit it should be a very helpful tool.
> But I'd see about getting a decent gold plate on the probes, AND hard wire
> them into the circuit, those banana like panel connectors can make a less
> than optimum connection at that low a voltage.
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Gene,

The 100 millivolts is the peak probe voltage at full scale.  The rest of
the time it's <100 mV when testing.  If I remember right, from the doccy's,
it's 100 hz.  I may be off on that though, I'll have to look.  AFAIK, the
BlueESR is the only one available from flipper now, and I don't see a kit
that has a single cable?  I only see one model with two options - one as a
kit, and one as assembled.

Mark