On 15 August 2014 08:15, Marius Liebenberg <mar...@mastercut.co.za> wrote:

> I fitted the lathe with a VFD and encoder on the spindle so now I can
> make use of the CSS method but as I said, how to calculate.

Lathes are pretty easy, you will basically end up always using the
same CSS number for each material.

On my lathe (which isn't very good, and has no coolant) I pretty much
always use 60 for mild steel, 45 for stainless and 100 for aluminium
in metric CSS. (m/min I think that is)

I also, unless I have a reason not to, nearly always use 0.15mm/rev
feed and 0.75mm DOC.

You will pretty soon get a feel for what you lathe likes. If the
surface finish looks bad, then you can play around with the sliders
until it looks good on the earlier passes.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.