On Friday 15 August 2014 03:15:31 Marius Liebenberg did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Being new to cnc lathe setup I have to ask about feeds and speeds. How
> does one know what feeds and speeds to use on the lathe. On my desktop
> mill I mostly cut aluminium and I have a small spindle so the speeds
> are as fast as the thing can handle. Not very scientific.
> I fitted the lathe with a VFD and encoder on the spindle so now I can
> make use of the CSS method but as I said, how to calculate.
>
> Secondly, is it worth buying something like this?
>
> http://hsmadvisor.com/

No clue what that is Marius, it will not load from here.  Root DNS BGP
overflow?

But there is a decent discussion and IIRC some tables in The Machinists
Handbook, a nice little 1000 + page tome that can be had for less than
$100 USD. The only more useful book I have covers electronics theory well
but is now dated by the invention of the transistor, the old ITT number 5.