On 5 September 2014 03:04, Len Shelton <l...@probotix.com> wrote:
> Here is the best machine design I could find that really demonstrates
> the issue:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_yemjfgkE0

Well ,if that worked then a CNC version would.
My concern would be with the torsional stiffness of the pull-rod. I
think that the rifling lead might always have to be largely set by the
cutter itself.

To make cutter up-feed easier I think I would look at designs with a
stationary cutter and a moving barrel. I am seeing two collet chucks
with adjustable spacing on a rail that oscillates up and down a fixed
cutter bar. This would allow the cutter bar to be anchored at both
ends to double the torsional stiffness (at the expense of increased
part-changeover time).
You would need very flex-resistant cabling for the barrel-rotation
motors in this scenario, unless drive to the barrel chucks was via a
ball-spline for example.

Hydraulic cutter feed might be worth investigating.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.