I did a bare metal install using the image file here (below) which got
me to 2.6.1.

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6

      Fresh install on Debian 7 (Wheezy)

I then updated the software via the deb package for the current master.

Then I did this (which is suggested on the same page).

To enable auto login edit etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and look for the
[SeatDefaults] section snd uncomment autologin name and add your user
name and autologin timeout.

  * mousepad is similar to gedit so open a terminal and:
  * sudo mousepad etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

<<<

The result is that I can't get autologin to work at all.   The system
simply ignores the changes that are suggested for autologin.

Any ideas?     I've scanned the web and most of the suggestions say the
same thing.

Thanks,

Dave

---