On Thursday 18 September 2014 09:18:00 Rick did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I actually don't use PID on my spindle, just a straight +/-10vdc
> command, I handle the acceleration and and other fine tuning in the
> drives, there are lowpass filters, and absolute components to calm the
> spindle speed readout scale down.
>
> No it's not automatic, I have 2 M-codes setup to change gears, M41 Low
> Speed, M42 High speed. About the only thing automatic on is that when
> it gets done homing, and I see machine homed, then it sets the machine
> in High range.

Where I am using the PID.s module, and the pwmgen in the 5i25 to drive one
of Jon's (Pico Systems) pwm input servo amplifiers.  Cheap, and I could
rustle up the 2.5kw worth of iron for a psu.

Actually, with enough pid.s.Pgain, I've another ghost of an idea as I need
it to be as stiffly regulated at 100 rpms as it is at 1000 rpms. So my
studies and experiments today will be to see if that faint idea can
actually be used.  I think I can get 2 or 3 hours to play I hope.