On Friday 17 October 2014 16:59:33 andy pugh did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 17 October 2014 20:57, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Driving the machine to center that mark so you can record it using
> > the align package, is however pretty frustrating when its 5 seconds
> > after you have taken the finger off the moveit key before the camera
> > shows you where its actually at.
>
> That's not a "realtime" issue, that's a "computer too slow" issue.
>
> If that 5 seconds was servo thread time just think what else would be
> going wrong..

I don't think so Andy, because theres at least 4 or 5 full processes
looking at and possibly adding to that image between the camera and the
display window.  I have tried a much slower base thread and the lag was
still the same.  Looking at the camera itself with something like cheese,
it is much faster, but thats right out of the camera, raw. No cropping,
DRO additions & no crosshairs or target circles added, I suspect a faster
USB might help some, and a cpu running at 15ghz would help, but thats an
1.4ghz atom & thats all on one core.  Firefox doesn't lag, and neither
does konversation, the IRC client.  Typically both are running.

Camunits runs at a low enough priority, but all that buffer copying
between the various video treatment modules does take time.