I'm always trying to nudge my friends and YouTube garage machining
buddies to adopt LinuxCNC.  It's good natured, but I am serious.  I
notice reluctance on their part, but I try to reassure them by telling
them, at this point, I really don't see how Mach could be any easier to
install and configure.  Other than sending a free technician to do it
for you, it's about as easy as it gets.  But there still seems to be
some hesitation.  They seem to regard me as the siren of Greek
mythology, trying to entice their ship onto the rocks.

Last week, a friend's hard drive crashed on his mill and he spent most
of the week getting it running again, and most of that of course was
Windows and Mach.  I told him that I routinely backup the small LinuxCNC
folder by dragging it to a USB thumb drive.  That contains all of my
machine configuration files and all of my G code.  If my hard drive
died, I'd plug in a new one, pop in the Ubuntu/LinuxCNC thumb drive and
reinstall everything in a few minutes, then drag the old LinuxCNC folder
to the new hard drive and Bob's your uncle.  I'm making chips.  Tell me
again how Linux is too geeky complicated and Mach and Windows is so easy?

There are plenty of people who genuinely like Mach and do a lot of free
advertising for them, including hardware manufacturers who say things
like, "No matter what you start with, you'll end up using Mach."  But
for each of these Mach cheerleaders, there seem to be a person on the
serious side of hobby machining, typically people who started with CNC
as a hobby who are now doing KickStarter manufacturing, opening small
town machine shops, etc., and they started with Mach but seem unhappy
with it.  They're the Mach captives.  They use Mach, including the more
advanced features, but they make disparaging comments.  I watch their
YouTube videos and they say, "Well, I went back out to the shop and Mach
had crashed again.  Big surprise."  But these captives seem to be
suffering from the CNC version of Stockholm Syndrome.  They're
sympathizing with their captors.  When I suggest how easy it'd be to
swap hard drives and install LinuxCNC and use the same hardware, (and
I've even volunteered to do it for them) and if they didn't like it they
could put the old hard drive back in and not miss a thing, they mumble a
bit and change the subject.  Typically, their little CNC machine shipped
with Mach and they're afraid to wander off the reservation.

Here's a partial summary of the issue of Digital Machinist that Jack
mentioned:

http://www.digitalmachinist.net/comingsoon/contents/view

There's an article in there (that I haven't read) about using LED ring
lights for spindle mounted workpiece lighting.  I bought a very nice
Aluminator 2.0 LED ring light on eBay on August 30th that's made to
magnetically attach to the spindle.  It's very nice and well worth the
US$125 on my milling machine.  My old eyes need all the light I can get.

www.ebay.com/itm/400759473641

On October 7th, I bought an 80mm Angel Eyes LED ring light on eBay for
US$11 that's marketed as accent lighting to surround an automotive
headlight.  It requires half an amp at 12 volts and it will require a
bit of redneck engineering (I'm thinking 3M VHB double sided foam tape,
or I may machine a PVC housing) to attach to the 80mm water cooled
spindle motor on my CNC router.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281435821348