Reminds me of when I worked for an ISP and telco at the turn of the
century. They installed a calling card phone at a food processing plant.
The thing looked massive and it was quite expensive. The heavy steel box
was 99.9% empty space. The phone electronics were on a circuit board the
size of the keypad.

On 10/22/2014 1:46 PM, Pete Matos wrote:
> unfortunately that is completely accurate.  There is BIG money in keeping
> the commercial controls proprietary and away from the open source cheap and
> free options. In my view that is never gonna change but what it does do is
> make THOUSANDS of nice used machines available for scrap prices just
> because the owner got sick and tired of dumping umpteen thousands of
> dollars into a control that is less than a decade old or so. It is a
> vicious cycle not all that unlike the cellphone wars and PC wars we see in
> other avenues. People gotta make money tho so I can't fault them. I would
> not want someone to rip the carpet out from underneath my feet either if I
> had ownership and royalties coming in from a system I built and sold.  It's
> the nature of things nowadays it seems.
>
> Pete
>

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 3:35 PM, jrmitchellj . <jrmitche...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If those service techs understood what is really inside, at the core of
>> those expensive, name brand control systems!
>> Their job is to sell the end user module based repairs that cost several
>> thousands of dollars.
>> The commodity based solution, like a LinuxCNC installation, does not fit
>> that paradigm, and cannot support them.

---
is active.