unfortunately that is completely accurate.  There is BIG money in keeping
the commercial controls proprietary and away from the open source cheap and
free options. In my view that is never gonna change but what it does do is
make THOUSANDS of nice used machines available for scrap prices just
because the owner got sick and tired of dumping umpteen thousands of
dollars into a control that is less than a decade old or so. It is a
vicious cycle not all that unlike the cellphone wars and PC wars we see in
other avenues. People gotta make money tho so I can't fault them. I would
not want someone to rip the carpet out from underneath my feet either if I
had ownership and royalties coming in from a system I built and sold.  It's
the nature of things nowadays it seems.

Pete

Pete Matos
A and N Precision and Fabrication