On 23/10/14 02:30, andy pugh wrote:
>> My first exposure to Unix was  PDP-11 with 64K words of memory.
> I was using a PDP for a real-time control task two years ago. It still
> did the same job as when it was installed in 1982. (running an engine
> dyno)

The component distributor that I worked for in the 80's ran a PDP8 and a
PDP11 running 100 sales desks and worked well most of the time. At the
same time I had a VAX hidden away in the plant room which just had two
terminals for doing custom chip designs. The PDP's were eventually
replaced with a very expensive cluster of 4 Amdahl, at a cost somewhat
higher than my current house is worth, and packet calculators compared
to the rack of hardware currently in the garage. But I'd still prefer
the older system software to todays ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL