In case anyone might be interested, I mentioned on IRC some issues I had
with a blown out unipolar drive:

http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/00001-1a.jpg

http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/Bandit_Stepper_Driver.png

http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/Shizuoka/Shiz_TIP36-1a.jpg
(Darlington = two xstrs on one mini pcb, TIP36C PNP pair on high side
for PWM current control on AA and BB, TIP35C NPN pair on low side for
motor coil stepping on A1, A2, B1, and B2)

I got the last of the parts yesterday and installed them to the Y drive
and it works fine now. Unfortunately, the Z drive went out while
testing. This time I knew what to look for and had spares, so I repaired
the Z drive in short order. I hope there isn't another issue causing
these drives to go out. It seems that a transistor shorts out, taking
the other high or low side transistor out, then the fuse. On the other
hand, if there was an overload from the motor, I suspect just the fuse
would blow. (BTW, TIP35/6 = 25A, Fuse = 12A Fast Blow)

In looking at how Darlington transistors work, I'm surprised that two of
the same transistors are used for the first and second stage (hFE =
1600). I suppose transistors are cheap enough that there are no savings
in using a smaller transistor for the first stage. If another transistor
blows out, I may try a modern single module Darlington like these:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2SD2083/2SD2083-ND/3661817
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2SB1383/2SB1383-ND/3929429
(hFE = 2000, one high side, one low side)

Although, I really don't want to put much more effort into these old
drives. Plus the circuit traces are pulling up when I remove the old parts.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/