or put simple a big mess rather than a concerted effort on one
my thoughts are that machinekit has gone the 3d printing route and forgot
about real machines doing real work
but with an attempt to bring things up to date like nml etc .
and linuxcnc folks have lost the plot in the real world , so we now have 2
options and a mess in the middle

with the real work of gui's being lost in the ether at the moment , and a
loss of direction , so yes John i feel
as if everything is dangling by a thread , but the direction or future is
unknown ...

i'd rather leave everything , and concentrate on fixing whats broke , or
what should be their that is not
for me either way, theres holes for a good working system. at least for
real machines with real uses that work for their living

but no doubt the mess will soon unravel and the mud will clear