On 11/28/2014 1:08 PM, TJoseph Powderly wrote:
> On 11/28/2014 11:31 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
>> On 11/28/2014 04:41 AM, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
>>> Now it seems that windshield washing fluid pump is not
>>> happy about running more than 20 minutes nonstop - it is
>>> overheating. Can anyone suggest some cheap alternatives?
>>> AFAIK some use fish tank pumps, but something that would
>>> be able to handle 7 m long tube will cost more than 50
>>> eur, so I am willing to do some experiments.
>> I use a Little Giant condensate return pump. It is designed
>> to collect condensed moisture from
>> air conditioners and condensing furnaces and pump it up to a
>> drain. I bought the pump
>> decades ago on eBay. I just have the bare pump unit, in my
>> own sump, not the complete
>> boxed-up system with float switch and etc. See
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/LITTLE-GIANT-CP1-115-Pump-Coolant-Plastic-/381014562435?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item58b63cd683
>> for something that looks a bit like the one I use.
>>
>> The motor just sits above the fluid and is driven by a
>> vertical shaft. This has no seals and is not
>> hermetically sealed, so really easy to clean the pump section.
>>
>> Jon

I'm not sure what you are using for coolant, but I have been using
RV/Caravan/Boat antifreeze (pink propylene glycol) for years now in my
7x12 bandsaw coolant tank.

The stuff does not seem to evaporate much at all, it doesn't freeze
(where the saw is located is unheated), and it has corrosion inhibitors
so the saw doesn't rust and it doesn't go bad or get stinky and it is
safe to drink in small quantities (seriously).  I have never changed
it.    Some dribbles away while cutting and I just keep refilling the
tank.   I use it at full strength and it is around $2.50 per gallon in
the US when it is on sale.

Dave

---
is active.