So they tested a batch of parts and projected out to the point where 63
percent will have failed using some assumed distribution of failure times.
Not hard to get to 171 years using that methodology.  It ignores the common
case where there is a mode of failure that causes the failures to be
clustered, but at least it gives you a decent idea of what to  expect
relative to other, similar parts.  I'm sure they are not claiming their
MTBF is less than a year.  Just to recap, the test results would be used to
estimate the parameters of the assumed failure distribution.  From the
resulting statistical model, you would be able to determine the point at
which a given percentage would fail

I was dragged kicking and screaming through a semester of
reliability/probability/statistics sometime back in the '80s.  So it's been
a while since I knew exactly what they would be doing.  But that's the gist
of it.