On 12/03/2014 07:38 AM, Marcus Bowman wrote:
> http://www.proz.com/kudoz/german_to_english/business_commerce_general/1072093-mio.html
> tells us it is Million hours.
>
> Interestingly, though, the term does not appear in BS EN 61709:2011 Electric
> components - Reliability - Reference conditions for failure rates and stress
> models for conversion.
>
> I don't believe 1500 Million hours. It is, in any case, a calculated value
> (not that there's anything wrong with that). If the unit contains large
> capacitors, 1500 hours is a much more realistic figure. Short; yes. But
> realistic.

This whole system of evaluating MTBF came from some stupid
US Defense Department
acquisition requirement that reliability of equipment be
calculated by a VERY rigid
and methodical approach.  You use the highest temperature
the equipment is rated
to operate at, then the lifetime of every electrical
component is computed based on
temperature (including self-heating from power dissipation)
and then the whole
system reliability is computed with an equation that
combines all the parts.

It totally screws up because it does not include connectors,
wiring, solder joints,
fan motors, drive motors, etc.  So, that is why disk drives
have these multi-100K
hour MTBFs quoted.  Everybody knows if you run a typical
hard drive for
5 years you are deeply into living on "borrowed time".  5
years is 40K hours.

So, the whole system si so TOTALLY flawed as to be
absolutely meaningless for any
real "system".  Certainly, anything that has aluminum
electrolytic caps used in
a power supply has a lifetime in the 20 - 40K hours range,
although this is at
least extended by periods where the equipment is off, and
made worse by
high temperatures.

One other place the military screwed up, is Tantalum
capacitors. These have the
bad characteristic that they can be VERY reliable if used
CONSTANTLY.  That means
either on all the time, or used every few days.  But, make
something with
tantalum caps, test it rigorously, and then put it in a
supply depot for a couple
years, and you will almost CERTAINLY find the caps short out
and blow (as
in fire and smoke) when you then put it into use.  The
military pretty much
outlawed aluminum electrolytics.

Jon