On 12/14/2014 9:14 AM, Peter Blodow wrote:
> When I was working with motherboards long ago, the beeps had e certain
> meaning that was described in the f... manual. Try to look it up in the
> internet, if you don't have a manual.
> Peter

Without the RAM installed, all the beeps will tell you is there's no
RAM. One of those tell me something I don't already know bleedin obvious
error messages. ;)

Kind of like how pre-1996 GM cars if you shorted the contacts in the
ALDL and the only code the light blinked was 12, telling you the engine
isn't running. Useless when you're attempting to discover *why* the
engine will not run.

When troubleshooting a PC board that won't boot, the first thing is to
install the minimum amount of supported RAM.

If the CPU is removable, you'll need one you know is supported by an
older BIOS. Typically the BIOS chip will have a label with the revision
number installed at manufacture. If that one doesn't support the CPU you
want to use but a newer version does, you'll have to scrounge up an
older/slower CPU just to use for updating the BIOS.

Some boards will go ahead and boot with an unrecognized CPU but will
lock to a slow speed and may also prevent any setup changes.

But for a RAM configuration that's not supported, not going to boot.

Get a POST (Power On Self Test) card. They have two 7-segment LED
displays that cycle through 2 digit hexadecimal numbers during POST and
should end on FF (a few manufacturers don't end POST with FF), followed
by beginning to boot the operating system.

If it stops partway through, the code it stops on, or the one just
before it stops, will tell you what may be holding it up. 'Course if
it's a non-removable part the board is toast, unless you want to ship it
off to someone with an SMT rework setup and can find replacement components.

If the POST display instantly goes to FF when you hit the power button,
that's most likely a bad CPU, or something major wrong with the board,
such as a way out of spec or non-functioning power supply to the CPU.

A POST card can be bought for a few dollars and can be very helpful,
especially when you need to prove that a brand new motherboard is defekt.

---