ed was my preferred on CP/M in the day when I didn't have access to wordstar.
ed or edline on DOS was OK.
On Windows I prefer notepad++ (notepad-plus-plus.org), a free editor
that is really simple to use and does proper g-code highlighting.
On Unix/Linux I go to vi, yes there is a vi-vs-emacs cult war, but for
me, vi is simple and I can remember the subset of control commands
easily.  Unix/Linux has ed also, but I prefer vi's full character
screen.

The whole object is to use what is productive, easy for you, and
doesn't get in the way.  I tried to be able to use (1) what I have,
then (2) what I preferred.