On 2/8/2015 1:11 PM, Dave Cole wrote:

> I'm wondering why they are failing on you?
> Do you have the drives heat sinked?    The back of the drives are smooth
> aluminum and are designed to be
> heatsinked to a backplane or the heatsink that Parker sold (use heat
> sink compound).

Hi Dave:
Yea, I have the drives heat sinked to a 1/4" alum backplane with
compound and have the backplane  fan-cooled.  I've never noticed the
backplane even being warm to the touch.

As far as why....well this last one was partly my fault.  But I'm
surprised that the Parker didn't have some built in protection.

I had just built and was testing a new Linuxcnc box based on an oldHP
Compaq DC7600 Pentium 4. Along with the new build I added code to do the
touch-off plate. Well, being careless while I was testing, I ended
driving the Y-axis to its neg stop.  Once I unstuck the axis, the drive
was toast and just sat there and vibrated the axis.  DUMB!

The other failure was about two years ago and it just didn't wake up
when I started the machine that day.