On 02/09/2015 06:36 AM, Dean Posekany wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your insight.  Its really been helpful.   I think
> I'm going to pick up one  of the cheap MA860H's, install it and use the
> pulled Parker drive for a back-up.  That way I can give it a spin before
> committing to the other two axes.
>
> Anyone out there have any proven  step and direction timing numbers or
> will the Leadshine numbers work fine?  I've read some opinions out there
> that the cheap Chinese knock-offs are a far cry from the actual
> Leadshine drivers.
>
> Thanks again.
> Dean

So far I'm using the numbers from the stepper timing data page on the wiki:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Stepper_Drive_Timing

Leadshine USA   Analog M860H 80VAC 7.2A 1500    1500    8000    5000    Rising
Edge
http://leadshineusa.com/UploadFile/Down/MA860Hm.pdf

I am also using a parallel port software step generator, and found that
playing with these values doesn't do much. I think this is due to the
low base frequency available from the parallel port. The step generator
reads the entered numbers then uses these to calculate actual numbers to
use based on the base frequency, or rather base period. There is usually
so little resolution (or the base period is large) that one may select
8000 but the next available value might be 14000. I believe "halcmd
show" will show the values used with the relevant pins and parameters.
Hardware step generators usually have a much higher base frequency, so
choosing 8000 might give an acual value of 8100, so one can tweak the
numbers to get a feel for where the limit might be. On my mill, I'm
using 1/4 stepping and getting around 80 IPM which is slightly faster
that my previous setup so I'm happy.

I took the cover off my drive and it looks to be well made. The circuit
board is used to clamp the power devices to the heat sink and is fairly
bowed, which I don't like much, but that is standard practice these
days. The motor power IO connector seems to be prone to burning due a
marginal connection between the pins and sockets. A bad connection has
resistance, which produces enough heat to burn the connector.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/