On 23.03.15 05:49, Mark Wendt wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > Though I am "a logic kinda guy", not a ladder wielder, I interpret
> > the "off" to refer to the B0 coil, not one of its contacts, which
> > may be NC or NO. That makes a NC contact an inverted output which is
> > a 1 when the input is 0.
> >
> > Does that realign the planets?
>
> I'm a comp sci kinda guy, so I'm familiar with logic too.  ;-)
>
> According to the description, B0 and B1 are switches, not relays.

Ah, true. Them's input switches, and the thing operates like a standard
No-Volt Release.

> Q0 is the relay.  And it also says in the description B0 is normally
> closed.  So, with that in mind, is "normally closed" off, and "open"
> on?

Now the meaning seems to me to be that the switch is "on" when it has
been actuated, i.e. not in its default state. That will open a NC, and
close a NO contact. Just like any relay further down in the ladder, NC
and NO contacts are inverted and non-inverted outputs from a single
input gate, and have opposite logic levels for the same condition of
"on" for the relay/switch. (Boolean operations are implemented by
parallel/serial contact combinations on these outputs, not on gate
inputs, so a bit of A..-backwards nomenclature is needed to make it
simple, I think.)

I don't believe the description is remotely coherent if "off/on" were to
be interpreted as "0/1" logic levels.

Try it as I describe, and the diagram and text should align without any
clashing of mental gears.

Erik

--
A computer is like an air conditioner, it works poorly when you open Windows.