On 25.03.15 11:50, Mark Johnsen wrote:
> I made some progress, but still struggling.
>
> The Ctrl-Alt-F1 opened a terminal, but maybe not the right kind?

It is the kind you need to avoid being blitzed by the bung X11 config.

> Found two outputs VGA1 and LVDS1 in this file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and this
> coincides with what I saw in the monitor window.  These are the 'output'
> types and if the xrandr command worked I'd issue something like:
> xrandr --ouptut LVDS1 --auto

While in the text terminal, you could put that into ~/.gnomrc :

#!/bin/bash
xrandr --ouptut LVDS1 --auto

Then it'll be run after X11 is active, and it shouldn't whinge about
being unable to open the display. (If you're running the gnome desktop)

> Someone mentioned xorg.conf, but I could not find any xorg.conf files in
> the etc/X11 file.  In some of the info I found, the xorg.conf was replaced
> in this or a recent version of Debian by something else and confuses me.

Reading my prior suggestion again, you might notice the detailed
explanation that my wheezy (like yours) does not use the traditional
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, and that the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows that

the files in the directory /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d are used instead.

What does your "Using system config directory" line in the log file
show?

> One person had the same issue and he got to this directory:
>  $HOME/.e/e/config/standard" and found files such as:
>  "e_randr.cfg" plus "e_randr.1.cfg" thru "e_randr.9.cfg"
>
> Here's the page for that guy:
> https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=16531.0
>
> He kept saying, "I can login as root."  I'm having issues login as root and
> not I got that right.  I issued:
> sudo su
> cd root
>
> But,
> ls root  -->  there are no files or folders.
>
> I tried:
> cd .e
> cd e
>
> But, no surprise that folder is not there.
>
> I guess my question is, did I get to root, and if so, how can I get to .e
> folder?   I did see the # sign appear like other info I read on the web.
> But, no files are there.

His case is not your case, and in any event you're misreading his case
and wrongly applying it to your case. Please follow this without
distraction:

In his case, $HOME is his home directory, and has _nothing_ to do with
root. To see if you have any of that guff in your home directory, you
can:

$ ls ~/.e         # Then hit tab twice.
                  # Autocompletion will show if there's anything there.
                  # (In my case, just ~/.eaglerc )

$ find ~ -name '*randr*' -print

That will find any files anywhere under your home directory, in any way
"randr" in name. If there are none, then that diversion may be
discarded, and you can return to diagnosing/solving your own problem.

Unlike Ubuntu, Debian does offer a root account during install. But if
you can't remember the password, then just sudo to try my advice, given
upthread:

> # Xorg -configure
>
> will regenerate a clean config. (Depends on what it detects, AIUI.)

That can be done in the character terminal, if it will work outside X.

Since Andy has reiterated that advice, you might like to give it a try.
The worst that can happen is that it fails, and you're back to the
reinstall option. Doing this is the same:

$ sudo Xorg -configure

Erik

P.S. To solve your issues logging in as root:

$ sudo passwd root

Type your sudo password, then you'll need to give the new root password
twice. Job done. You own your machine.

--
Leibowitz's Rule:
When hammering a nail, you will never hit your finger if you hold the