On 04/19/2015 01:40 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 19 April 2015 at 18:31, Karlsson & Wang
> <nicklas.karls...@karlssonwang.se> wrote:
>> I guess it would be possible to modify or make Linuxcnc accept a netlist as
>> a hal file and in such case for example Geda could be used for
>> configuration. What do you think?
>
> It has been tried:
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HalSchematicsUsingGschem
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Eagle2HAL
>
> But that does rather the same thing that Rockhopper does, but not as prettily.

i think rockhopper does not output hal from a drawing.
i think it 'just' displays a visualization of a hal file.
it's not a design tool, its a proofing tool.

I think the Geda and Eagle attempts were the other direction,
they attempted to visually create netlists using a gui pallete of comps.

( iirc i tried to read _and_ write hal files )

any 'pretty' in Geda/Eagle is up to the designer
(s)he can drag and drop
or rearrange as (s)he likes

no modifications allowed in the rockhopper output
you cant re-arrange the svg to make sense of one knot.

your back to   edit compile debug (repeat)

rockhopper geda eagle are all incomplete from some view

tomp tjtr33