The *.hal files fulfill a similar functionality as a netlist in schematic
capture software. Difference is signals exist in software instead of on a
circuit board. I guess it would be possible to modify or make Linuxcnc accept a
netlist as a hal file and in such case for example Geda could be used for
configuration. What do you think?

Nicklas Karlsson