Micro V belts are apparently targeted at OEMs like car manufacturers who
can make their own pulleys and order thousands of custom spec belts.

A friend of mine tried to buy a setup for a custom machine and nothing
was off the shelf and the selection of belt lengths was very limited.
He could get a belt length that would work but the pulleys were a custom
order - expensive and 6 week delivery.

I'd go with V belts, HTD or Timing belts and forget about Micro V belts
unless you happen onto the proper parts.

Dave

On 4/30/2015 2:35 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 30 April 2015 14:16:55 Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> I have been snooping around with my google-fu, and coming up a bit
>> long.
>>
>> Long as in the smallest of tese belts with a kevlar backing, is a 3/8"
>> wide 3 ribber, 21" long.  That is too long for what I am trying to do.
>>
>> What I have, under design but not carved just yet, would be a set of
>> pulley's to be used on my toy mill when I remove the whole gearbox on
>> the spindle and replace it with something resembling the LMS is
>> selling for the mini-mill.  But the motor will be the 400 watter I
>> took off the lathe when I pout the 1 horse on it, so the motors pulley
>> will need an 8mm hub, probably another shop made taperlock, while the
>> spindle pulley will need a 30mm hub,
> Actually, I came across a spare set of the nylon gears for the OEM 2
> speed, and the spindle diameter where the gears sit, and where my
> pulleys will set, is 20.00mm in diameter, which will leave lots more
> room for a taperlock hub.  I've turned one 1/2" thick square to 7076T4
> (or something like it, turns beautifully) and the larger of the 2
> pulleys will have 70mm for top of rib diameter.  This also gives room
> enough to put one of my encoder disks on it, which should enable me to
> do rigid threading on the mill too.
>
> $64 question. I have a suspicion I had better make the taperlock insert
> out of steel as opposed to the same alloy of alu.  Do you folks concur?
>
> My thoughts are: that dependent on the assembly lube, the alu against alu
> will gall and seize a lot faster that a steel insert would. I haven't
> yet cut the tapered bore for it.
>
>> possibly taperlock if I can find
>> room for it.  The two pulleys will be otherwise alike, with a 2/1
>> ratio when the belt is in the reduction grooves, and a 1/2 when its in
>> the higher speed grooves, gfiving a variable speed range of up to 2500
>> in low range, and up to 10k in high range from a 5k motor.  That ought
>> to speed up making pcb's a bit.
>>
>> Unforch, on the gates site, no real data unless I kill a tree with
>> their pdf catalog.  Other sites, which obviously stock only the
>> popular sizes for automotive useage, do not show anything in the 3 rib
>> 3/8" width, shorter that 21".  That would put the motor a couple
>> inches farther off to the side than I'd like.
>>
>> Has anyone else found such smallish beasts and can give me a URL?
> Thanks all.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

---