On 4/30/2015 5:51 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I think I am going to have to find another PSU for it, there is no other
> rhyme or reason for it to go away in the middle of a job, like it has
> done 3x today.  I padded up to the shop & tapped the reset button just
> now so I'll be good for maybe an hour.  But I also just commented that
> line out of fstab on this machine until such time as I get that one
> fixed.

Check all over the motherboard for capacitors with bulged tops and/or
signs of leaking. Also open up the power supply and look for same.

All the electrolytic can capacitors should be completely flat on top.
The slightest bulge indicates its bad and will be doing out of
specification nastiness to voltage levels and data signals.

I've seen several power supplies that would do a voltage drop or
increase after being on for a while. A drop can get you lockups, random
reboots and even (oh such fun) data corruption. Too much and CPUs and
hard drives can get fried.

There's a 5 volt line not used on newer ATX power supplies so if you
have a tester and it says that line is bad, look to see if the wire is
not in the connector.

---