On 5/14/2015 6:53 AM, Tom Easterday wrote:

> However, I did find the source of the main problem!  It was indeed my
> keyboard.  Not the USB wiring from keyboard to pc, but the keyboard ITSELF is
> very sensitive to the noise created by the VFD.  If I move the keyboard to
> the very extreme end of it’s (rather long) usb cable the problem disappears
> completely. 6” closer to the cabinet and noise reappears.  Apparently the
> noise is being interpreted as key presses by the keyboard circuitry.  I
> replaced the new water resistant Logitech keyboard with a very old Apple
> keyboard I had lying around and no more random characters!   I also had a
> second problem where the VFD would shut down somewhat randomly which I
> thought was related to this noise as well.  That turned out to be an over
> current condition at very low rpm.  Tweaking some settings fixed that.

Good to know. Apparently Logitech takes the second part of 47 C.F.R.
15.5 (b) literally.

"... interference must be accepted that may be caused by the operation
of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or unintentional
radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) equipment, or by
an incidental radiator."

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2014-title47-vol1/xml/CFR-2014-title47-vol1-sec15-5.xml

Your VFD is the "incidental radiator". I'd be building a metal window
screen box around it.

---