On 05/31/2015 11:46 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> I just bought a new old lathe, as an upgrade to the Cheap Chinese
> Lathe. The new lathe actually has a smaller between-centres distance
> than the CCL, only 1" more swing, but weighs about 12x as much.
>
> The drive-train is a 900 rpm motor, then a Kopp Variator, and then a
> 2-speed electrically-actuated gearbox.
>
> I am trying to decide whether to control spindle speed by setting up a
> motor to twiddle the speed adjustment of the variator and leave the
> VFD (which I need to synthesise 3-phase) at a fixed frequency, or
> whether to leave the variator at a fixed setting and control speed
> with the VFD.
>
> The advantage of the variator is that as you reduce the speed there is
> more torque available, but that is not the case with a VFD.

My Hardinge HNC has a variable pulley system which I set to a fixed
position and I use the VFD for speed and direction control.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111477002385
http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/00032-1a.jpg
http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/00051-1a.jpg
http://www.wallacecompany.com/cnc_lathe/HNC/

It works well for what I turn but I can imagine some parts that would
need extra torque at low speed. I'm considering using both. It would be
easy to hook up the vari-speed's stepper motor then set up an M code to
set the position. The spindle encoder will come in handy to get the
proper spindle speed with different vari-speed and VFD settings. One
down side of the vari-speed is that it changes speed fairly slowly, but
reversals with the VFD should be okay.

> I suppose an alternative would be to swap the motor for a 240V
> single-phase item and not have a VFD at all.

Yuck.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/