On 15 June 2015 at 20:33, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> I've done quite a bit of googling, and read the older threads here, but
> the closest I've come is an included angle in the 14 degree area, or 7
> degrees off axis in cnc terms. No one has discussed the effect of
> dissimilar metals that I have noted in skimming about 65 old messages or
> in the google outputs.

It seems likely that the threshold angle is the arctan of the
coefficient of friction between the materials.
Looking in the tables, (
http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/frictioncoefficients.htm )
hardened steel on hardened steel, lubricated, has a mu of .11 so
should lock at angles below 6 degrees even with lubrication.
(which sounds plausible, though I am not sure about the lubrication of
a machine taper)
Dry aluminium on mild steel is listed as a mu of 1.05, so that
suggests it should lock at an angle of 45 degrees.

Whether these would be half-abgles or included angles I can't decide.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.