On 17.09.15 08:36, Ed wrote:
> On 09/17/2015 07:57 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> > Seems to say that a feed force of 100N is about normal.
> > This seems rather less than I would have guessed.
> >
> > Does anyone else have any feel for this. I have been designing around
> > 2kN, and I know that many CNC lathes have multi-kW Z servos.
> >
> Many CNC lathes push large twist drills and spade drills through some
> tough material. How big do you plan?

There's also a hefty carriage with a massive tool turret and motor to
accelerate at dollar-earning rates, plus bed friction to overcome, in
many cases. As well, the DOC and FPR in table 4 do not look much like
production roughing cuts with TC tooling and flood coolant.

The knurling gcode from earlier in the week would also require higher
feed force than the feed of 180 microns per rev in table 4, I figure.

Erik