On 18 Sep 2015, at 19:22, Dave Cole wrote:

> On 9/18/2015 1:02 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
>> What will really happen ultimately is LinuxCNC will become the dominant CNC
>> program out there for people who don't want a call home virus running on
>> their PC.
>
> I didn't know that it actually "phoned home".   That would be a problem
> for me.
> The licensing model is rather convoluted.  Although I can understand
> them trying to protect their software sales, I suspect that it also scares
> away a number of potential users.

As does the need for a Motion Controller, because that makes the whole package
very much more expensive than a licensed copy of MACH3. Yes; Mach4 does have
the option of an add-on extra cost parallel port driver, but it is clearly not
the way they want users to go. I can understand the move to motion controllers,
but the total cost will do nothing to persuade the MACH3 users to migrate.

Marcus