On 09/19/2015 09:42 PM, Evan Foss wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 3:29 AM, Evan Foss <evanf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky <s...@highlab.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Evan, unfortunately our build documentation is not super easy to
>>> find.  LinuxCNC has many build dependencies.  They are recorded in the
>>> debian/configure script.  Instructions on how to use it to discover what
>>> you need to install are here:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Installing_LinuxCNC#Resolving_outstanding_build_dependencies
>>
>> Yes I tried that.
>> cd debian
>> ./configure -a (if installing simulator use "./configure sim" instead)
>> I tried uspace and sim
>> debian $ ./configure uspace
>> unknown distribution: Gentoo-n/a
>> configuration may be wrong!
>> successfully configured for 'uspace-Gentoo-n/a'-'uspace'..
>>
>> It never produced dpkg-checkbuilddeps
>
> I have a basic question. Why does it build this way? I mean I would
> think the ./configure in src would be able to detect missing
> dependencies.

Ah, you're building on Gentoo, I didn't realize that.  We do not
currently have instructions for how to build on Gentoo, unfortunately.
LinuxCNC currently targets/supports Debian and Debian-derived
distributions like Ubuntu.  There have been some efforts to develop the
Gentoo build documentation, but as far as I know they have not produced
any results yet.  If you get your Gentoo build to work, I'd welcome an
ebuild file and/or documentation.

You're right that src/configure is supposed to identify missing build
dependencies.  If it fails at that job, that's a bug, and we'd love a patch.

debian/configure and dpkg-checkbuilddeps are Debian-specific tools that
do a similar but different job - they tell you, in a programmatic way,
which debian packages are missing and need to be installed in order to
build.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky