On 20/09/15 04:58, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> Ah, you're building on Gentoo, I didn't realize that.  We do not
> currently have instructions for how to build on Gentoo, unfortunately.
> LinuxCNC currently targets/supports Debian and Debian-derived
> distributions like Ubuntu.  There have been some efforts to develop the
> Gentoo build documentation, but as far as I know they have not produced
> any results yet.  If you get your Gentoo build to work, I'd welcome an
> ebuild file and/or documentation.
>
> You're right that src/configure is supposed to identify missing build
> dependencies.  If it fails at that job, that's a bug, and we'd love a patch.
>
> debian/configure and dpkg-checkbuilddeps are Debian-specific tools that
> do a similar but different job - they tell you, in a programmatic way,
> which debian packages are missing and need to be installed in order to
> build.

It is nowadays irritating that distributions made their own decisions on
'improvements' in the past. So Linux has a well deserved reputation for
being 'painful to work with'. I've worked with SUSE Linux for so many
years now that when I've come across sites using something else those
little differences cause hours of head scratching on things 'that should
just work'. Add in problems like Python2 vs Python3 and even 64bit vs
32bit and it does become something of a nightmare? :(

A debate on 'cross platform' working should perhaps start with 'cross
distribution' working. I've just finished upgrading the 'old'
development machine from SUSE13.1 to SUSE 'Tumbleweed' since many of the
nice new tools like FreeCAD and KiCAD will not load current versions on
even SUSE13.2, remaining with older versions with known bugs. Start
throwing complete new processor families into the mix such as the
various ARM variants and its a wonder anything ever works?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL