The "waitpid" error is a very generic error that indicates some
sub-program has failed.  So look for other messages that give a more
specific indication of the problem.

Here is a loadrt line I used when I was testing 3 hostmot2 ethernet
boards:

    loadrt hm2_eth config="num_encoders=1 num_pwmgens=1 num_stepgens=1
enable_raw=1,enable_raw=1" board_ip=192.168.1.123,192.168.1.122,192.168.1.121

To see which config goes with which board-ip, just look for the commas
and match up the strings
    192.168.1.123 num_encoders=1 num_pwmgens=1 num_stepgens=1 enable_raw=1
    192.168.1.122 enable_raw=1
    192.168.1.121 [defaults]

You would only 'loadrt' hm2_eth once, even for multiple cards.  If you
have two separate loadrt lines, it's definitely not going to work.

Check that each card works individually.  Remember that you have to
configure them manually to have distinct IP addresses.

If you are still encountering trouble, show us your whole hal file and
the whole output that occurs when trying to start linuxcnc from a
terminal.

Jeff