Greetings Peter;

In getting a decent rapids w/o following error, I wound up with all the
pid.Pgains at 2000, and while I played with the FF2 setting, couldn't
detect that is was affecting anything I'm smart enough to detect.

However, after a move of one of the axis's I can hear a faint tone at the
servo-thread frequency from the motors. Firing up halscope and looking
at the x,y,x outputs, when its singing I can see this tone at all the
pid.outputs, at from 15 to 50 milivolts peak to peak.  Move an axis a
couple thou and it may stop.

However, when its doing it, the z, being tasked with supporting the
weight of the head, can be seen to move, perhaps as much as 5 thou in a
minute or less.  I have twice added half a microsecond to the dirsetup
and dirhold settings, and a quarter to the step widths which seems to
have helped.  This particular driver is a DM860 since thats a nema34
motor, running on 60 volts.  And 60 is NOT enough for that high of an
inductance motor.  120 would be about right, and should put its speeds
up there with the 450 oz x&y motors, but no one makes a stepper driver
rated for that high a voltage.  The DM860 is also noisey as can be as it
switches from the microstep chosen to lower values as the speeds
requested rises. 3IPM is silent, 30 IPM positively howls, its like a 16
speed road ranger truck transmission, taking the engine thru its optimum
power rpm range from the traffic light till its out of sight and
hearing.

So my guess is that the oscillation may be confusing its internal
gearshift.

What has been the pulse timing settings a DM860 needs in your experience,
and is there something in the pid settings that will dampen that 1
kiloihertz oscillation out, without lowering the Pgain, which seems to
be required to get any real rapids speeds above 20 ipm.

Clues will be gleefully applied at this point.  Thanks Peter.