On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:56:07 -0400
> From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] To PCW: retuning for inches
>
> Greetings Peter;
>
> In getting a decent rapids w/o following error, I wound up with all the
> pid.Pgains at 2000, and while I played with the FF2 setting, couldn't
> detect that is was affecting anything I'm smart enough to detect.

PGain should really be 1/period, more _will_ cause overshoot/oscillations

> However, after a move of one of the axis's I can hear a faint tone at the
> servo-thread frequency from the motors. Firing up halscope and looking
> at the x,y,x outputs, when its singing I can see this tone at all the
> pid.outputs, at from 15 to 50 milivolts peak to peak.  Move an axis a
> couple thou and it may stop.

This is most likely the step driver (or excessive Pgain, see above)

> However, when its doing it, the z, being tasked with supporting the
> weight of the head, can be seen to move, perhaps as much as 5 thou in a
> minute or less.  I have twice added half a microsecond to the dirsetup
> and dirhold settings, and a quarter to the step widths which seems to
> have helped.  This particular driver is a DM860 since thats a nema34
> motor, running on 60 volts.  And 60 is NOT enough for that high of an
> inductance motor.  120 would be about right, and should put its speeds
> up there with the 450 oz x&y motors, but no one makes a stepper driver
> rated for that high a voltage.  The DM860 is also noisey as can be as it
> switches from the microstep chosen to lower values as the speeds
> requested rises. 3IPM is silent, 30 IPM positively howls, its like a 16
> speed road ranger truck transmission, taking the engine thru its optimum
> power rpm range from the traffic light till its out of sight and
> hearing.
>
> So my guess is that the oscillation may be confusing its internal
> gearshift.
>
> What has been the pulse timing settings a DM860 needs in your experience,
> and is there something in the pid settings that will dampen that 1
> kiloihertz oscillation out, without lowering the Pgain, which seems to
> be required to get any real rapids speeds above 20 ipm.

If you cannnot get rapids above 20 IPM without a Pgain of 2000 you have
something badly broken in the PID ( _is_ FF1 1.000? )

I would set the pulse timimg as long as the maximum step rate will allow
(with about a 20% margin)

> Clues will be gleefully applied at this point.  Thanks Peter.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Peter Wallace