To speak of Ubuntu vs. Debian is irrelevant when speaking of the user
interface.
  You can run Xubuntu and it will have the same user interface as the one used
in the linuxcnc version of debian wheezy.  The differences are mostly minor in
how they are set up.

That said, I have generally found *buntu to be easier to install and to have a
nicer and easier to use default setup than Debian, but Linux Mint is even
better
than *buntu in those things.