On Friday 20 November 2015 06:29:18 Les Newell wrote:

> I have a Denford Orac with a switch on the saddle and an adjustable
> stop that clamps on the bed. I also use another machine that has a
> fixed switch on the headstock and is an adjustable rod on the saddle
> to set the trip point. These has saved the machines from damage a
> couple of times and I have been meaning to do something similar with
> my Colchester Triumph.
>
> This sort of setup only works well if all of your tools are about the
> same length. For instance I have access to another machine with a trip
> switch and an ATC. On many jobs you end up with the trip switch being
> unable to protect all of the tools. For instance you can't protect
> boring tools.

Or taps, same reason.

> Now what would be really useful is to be able to set soft limits in
> work coordinates rather than machine coordinates. That way you can
> protect all tools, no matter what size they are. You would need to be
> able to set the limit position from code to allow for boring
> operations etc.
>
> Les

I've thought about that Les, but haven't voiced it here on the list.  I'd
sure put a plus vote in for that ability.  Another option in the touch
off menu would seem to be the ideal place for it.  Run it to where it
needs to stop and set the appropriate left/right/in/out limit point.
That would have saved me several hundred $ in crushed carbide chips over
the last decade+.