On Friday 20 November 2015 13:10:05 Les Newell wrote:

> > I wonder how a hall effect might work, to sense the chucks jaws
> > going by when it gets too close? I think I'd boost the length of its
> > output pulse with a one shot to make sure its triggering wasn't
> > missed though when the servo thread is the only one, no base thread
> > to read it every 30 microseconds. Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Oh, I see, you want to sense the chuck jaws themselves. That leaves
> the sensor in a very vulnerable place, right in the firing line for
> coolant, swarf etc. What is wrong with having a switch on the saddle
> that trips when it hits an adjustable stop? It works quite well and is
> a lot less vulnerable.
>
> Les

True, but to be effective, they would all have to be adjusted during the
setup for the job at hand.  Thats a bit of a PITA, so I listen for the
first ticks.

The hall effects lifetime can be shortened drastically by the wrong
petroleum coming in contact with its epoxyB encapsulating materiel too.
Been there, done that, paid the repair bill to prove it. WD-40 in
particular is about a 3 days to dead device poison.