Hi,

RS232 is an old connection from terminals (DTE) to modems (DCE). at some
point, every wire in the 25 line cable had active signals.

To connect two DTEs together, you need a "null modem" crossover. The most
typical null modem does the following. (I will note the pin number on the
DB25 conector):

Exchanges RxD(3) and TxD (2)  on the two sides
Connects signal ground(7) on the two sides
Connects RTS(4) to CTS(5) on the same side
Connects DTR(20) on one side to both DCD(8) and DSR(6) on the other

The other signals are for things like synchronous modems and the like.

You can get a RS232 Breakout box like
http://www.altex.com/RS232-Breakout-Box-BRB-232-P140389.aspx
to debug things. This allows you to connect and disconnect signals, set
them to values...

Data lines are negative true and signalling lines are positive true.

Yes, I remember debugging 300 baud modems. Then again, people think I also
remember the dinosaurs. :)

jerry

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM, John Thornton <j...@gnipsel.com> wrote:

> An update, I got the serial isolator but it did not work out of the box.
> It had something about DTE and DCE that I didn't understand how to tell
> what the GS2 uses and can't find anything about DTE or DCE in the manual...
>
> JT
>
> On 12/25/2015 4:51 PM, John Thornton wrote:
> > I think a fresh thread is in order for this ordeal.
> >
> > I'm starting at the plug... I dug up some 10-3 SO cord and wired the
> > plug and brought that into the left cabinet. Landed the wires on some
> > terminal blocks with the DIN rail bolted to the cabinet with star
> > washers between the DIN rail and the cabinet. I also scraped the paint
> > off the cabinet in that area. Ground terminal blocks surround the
> > distribution terminal blocks (two blocks tied together). I'm also making
> > a print of the wiring as I go along. So from the distribution blocks the
> > 240v goes to the VFD filter and the control transformer. I have a second
> > filter for the 120v side, should that go just after the control
> transformer?
> >
> > JT

Jerry Scharf
FINsix IT