On 01/01/2016 07:25 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
>> Machine wiring is different in that you can have scenarios where
>> references are moved, especially in a 2-phase system where you are not
>> using the neutral, which is the scenario we have here.
> My understanding is, and I could be wrong, that "two-phase" in reference
> to modern mains circuits does not exist. Circuits with two hot legs, L1
> and L2, are single phase and referenced to each other. Two phase used to
> be two legs that were 90 degrees apart, but is long gone.

That was (almost) my faulty thought too at first, but it turns out that
the 2-phase system referred to comes from a single transformer with two
secondary windings. This gives you two 120V lines wrt. neutral (L1 and
L2) which are 180 degrees shifted. Therefore, the difference between L1
and L2 is 240V.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)