On Fri, Jan 1, 2016, at 04:44 PM, Bertho Stultiens wrote:
> On 01/01/2016 07:25 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> >> Machine wiring is different in that you can have scenarios where
> >> references are moved, especially in a 2-phase system where you are not
> >> using the neutral, which is the scenario we have here.
> > My understanding is, and I could be wrong, that "two-phase" in reference
> > to modern mains circuits does not exist. Circuits with two hot legs, L1
> > and L2, are single phase and referenced to each other. Two phase used to
> > be two legs that were 90 degrees apart, but is long gone.
>
> That was (almost) my faulty thought too at first, but it turns out that
> the 2-phase system referred to comes from a single transformer with two
> secondary windings. This gives you two 120V lines wrt. neutral (L1 and
> L2) which are 180 degrees shifted. Therefore, the difference between L1
> and L2 is 240V.

This is ENTIRELY a function of where you are and what language you
speak.  (English and American are not the same language :-)

In the USA, Kirk is 100% correct.  Two phase means 90 degree phase
shift, and is pretty much non-existent.  120V-0V-120V with 240V from
end to end is "single phase".  Call it two-phase and people in the States
will look at you funny.

John Kasunich