My friend speculated that maybe the updates that installed (over 60 MB
worth of packages) included a different video driver that greatly
decreased the latency problem and I commented that this seemed like a
probable explanation based on my limited knowledge.  The difference was
extreme - unusable before upgrading and working great after the upgrades.

BTW - If anyone is looking for a rigid little 12" X 12" desktop CNC
router, the C-Beam Machine from OpenBuild looked very nice to me. It's
fairly inexpensive, and it's a quick easy build.  It's also very modular
so it'd be fairly easy to scale it up a bit.  I think it's just three of
the standard OpenBuild axes, bolted orthogonally.  OpenBuild uses it to
make their aluminum brackets for their OpenBuild kits, so it kind of
makes itself.  The structure seemed rigid but the stepper motor sounds
seemed to be resonating in the aluminum frame and the resonant
frequencies were loud, but I doubt you'd notice if using the recommended
Bosch Colt router as a spindle motor with small carbide bits to machine
aluminum.