On Saturday 30 January 2016 01:11:05 MC Cason wrote:

> Gene,
>
>    Just be aware that the Square D Homeline series has aluminum bus
> bars.  I had to replace a 8 year old box, due to some arcing issues
> between the bus bar, and the breaker, so now I put noalox on all of my
> breaker contacts.  Since doing that, I have not had any more issues.
>
>    The Square D industrial boxes use nickel plated copper bus bars.

Thats good to know. I thought it looked like alu, but wasn't positive as
the stickups for the breaker to grip must have some sort of a yellowish
coating on them.  This one was new in 2013 when it was installed after
the transfer switch when I had a 20kw generator installed.  So the
original box, with the meter socket in it, now in front of the transfer
switch, was installed in 2007 in preparation to adding the semiattached
garage in 2008.

So the next time I goto Lowes, I ought to pick up a tube of that grease,
and grease them all before I re-install the cover.

As I've indicated before on this list, alu wire is a %$#@&^()+ time bomb.
I had some of it try to burn down the house at 3 am on a -15F night in
Carrol Nebraska in the early '70's. Old house, meterhead outside, with
about an 8" long jumper of 8/3 alu from the meters load to the top of
the box, fortunately located in a closet in the bedroom we were sleeping
in because the arcing noise woke me up.  So at 3am I had to dress
for -15F weather, locate the arc, disconnect most of the electric
heaters, go out, cut the seal off the meter (thats a felony in Nebraska)
go out to the transmitter & round up enough copper to replace that shit,
replace it, put the meter back in & start taking the chill off the house
before the pipes froze.  Called Ron at Wayne County Public Power first
thing in the morning and told him to come by and put a new seal on the
meter. He had a cow, but did. He and I knew each other well before that
since the tv transmitter at KXNE-TV that I was in charge of, was their
biggest customer, pulling around 230 kwh when it was on, until somebody
built a pair of 150'x450' air conditioned hog barns out east of Wayne a
few miles.

Now I am forced to use the shit here & there, simply because you can't
buy copper in 8 gauge around here, like the 8/3wg run of UG to the shop
building, but every box in that run gets opened and the screws tightened
another 1/4 turn at 3 or 4 year intervals.

So my distaste for alu wire is a long standing and bitter issue. I don't
care how tight you think the connection is, that shit cold flows over
time and it _will_ come loose, destroying what you thought was a gas
tight joint.  The use of noalox doesn't change that other that its
sealing effect if slathered on thick enough to keep airborn oxygen out
of the joint even if it does flow & reduce the contact pressures exerted
by the screw/bolts. That will extend the time frame to failure, perhaps
by 100%, but it will still fail.  Unless tightened occasionally to
restore the gas tightness of the connection.  This time when I go around
and do the tightening, I'll magic marker the date on the box cover to
serve as a reminder as to when it was done last.  At 81 & holding a year
at a time, my memory isn't what it was 25 years ago and isn't expected
to get any better.

I bought an IR thermometer just to survey the crap while it was under
power.  It has warned me once already.

Thank you very much for the heads up, MC.

[...]