I can say a word about my journey through Linux distributions and DEs.
The main reason why I came to Linux was LinuxCNC. I started from Ubuntu
10 x86 as such image was offered by LinuxCNC. And I made myself
comfortable with it including for casual tasks.

Later on I moved to Debian Wheezy x86 with xfce together with new image
from LinuxCNC. It was not easy, I felt not so comfortable, but adapted
myself and xfce to my needs.

Now I am using Debian Jessie amd64 with KDE Plasma. And I am very happy
with it. It runs LinuxCNC with SMP PREEMPT RT kernel on a laptop!

And a lot more happier when I found how to:
set Desktop to be "as usual" Activities / Create activity / templates /
Desktop icons
set Meta (aka MS Start) key for kickoff menu by using ksuperkey
set various custom shortcut keys
use some great apps like Krusader, Kate (one session per config), ...