On Wednesday 03 February 2016 21:38:27 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 02/03/2016 02:09 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Now I have spent 20 minutes doing a slow dance on those 2
> > buttons, and haven't tripped the breaker yet, probably
> > more than 50 full cycles.
>
> Well, still don't exactly know why it wasn't working
> before.  Did these charge pumps DIRECTLY drive the SSRs?  I
> can easily see how marginal or decaying analog outputs from
> a charge pump could do unwanted things to an SSR, like make
> it conduct ONLY on one polarity for a couple cycles as the
> charge pump cap was draining.  In fact, if you give typical
> SSRs marginal input voltages, I'll bet most of them will do
> this.
>
> Jon

You could have hit it squarely there, Jon.  Perhaps the mosfet/hexfet
output might have been replaced with a comparator with a bit of a
schmidt trigger hysteresis so that the output wasn't ever in that grey
area. I'd be a bit spooked about running it all on a normal logic
voltage supply though.  I did note that I had quoted the wrong voltage
yesterday, coming out of the buck switcher, its display says 25.6 volts,
not 12. But since the original 4000 family of cmos logic can and has
survived on 28 volts on my watch with only nominal heating while being
switched at 1/4 microseconds speed, I'm sure it could survive a nearly
dc mode.  RCA only rated it for 15 volts in their propaganda.

There is such a circuit I've seen someplace that used 1 gate of a 4050
inverting buffer, with it driving the other 5 gates in the package so
the end result is non-inverting, and that can easily supply 50 mills of
output, and ack the SSR data we need 4 mills.

One could adjust the trip point, since it would be at nominally 50% of
VCC, simply by adjusting the supply VCC, so if the bucker was turned
down to about 7.5 volts, the on/off response would essentially duplicate
the nominally 3.75 volts on point of the hexfet.

Hind sight, 20-05, I never thought of that when I laid it out in pcb. :(
Perhaps I should?  That would make the board wider, or longer, but its
nominally .9 by 1.75" now. Where I have them mounted, width could go up
an inch w/o impinging on the rest of the stuff in that box.

With that amount of gain in the buffering, I doubt if any schmidt
triggering hysteresis would be needed to get a clean switch. About a .05
u-f feedback capacitor from the output back to cF to speed it up would
be a great plenty I'd think.

Food for thought and experimentaton when I am next bored.  But its
working with the big current limiting resistor now, and its only heating
2 or 3 degrees per on/off cycle to do it, so my natural tendency toward
lazyness and to not fix what isn't broken will likely detour that
effort.  Sad, but as a former Bro-in-Law used to say, its good enough
for the girls I go with. :)

But I'd like to get this furniture project done & delivered while I take
a grand tour to Nebraska & Kansas to deliver 3 of them to my son's
sometime this summer before I fall over.  And get a couple small 45
degree dovetail mills ordered so I can hack out a teeny QC mount for
this endoscope camera. Then I can do double sided PCB's without all the
foolishness changing the tool out for a sensing contact to locate a hole
in piece of brass tubing set into the corner of the pallet & calculate
all the offsets needed to do the back side of a board.  That got quite
tedious on the toy mill too.

Snooping around on fleabay last night I found this:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-3-8-X-45-DEGREE-PREMIUM-HSS-DOVETAIL-CUTTER-MILLING-HIGH-SPEED-STEEL-/131511946248?hash=item1e9eb90c08:g:JmcAAOSwBahVVON->

Which looks like a decent price, but the pix doesn't match the
description, so which is correct?  If its as small as it claims, it
would be ideal. I thought of hitting the buy it now for 4 of them since
they are HSS and would need to be drowning in cutting oil.  Should I?