On 2/23/2016 10:21 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 02/23/2016 08:38 PM, Jim Craig wrote:
>> I installed the iso image from 2.6.8 on my dads laptop. I had everything
>> working the way I wanted it last night. I powered it down and then
>> tonight when It boots up the system will lock up within 10 to 15 seconds
>> of getting to the login screen.
>>
>> If I am fast I can login to they system and the xwindow shell comes up
>> but it will still lock up before the entire system can start.
>>
>> By lockup I mean the mouse does nothing, and apparently the keyboard
>> does nothing.
>>
>> If I do ctrl+alt+F1 to F6 nothing happens.
>>
>> I have booted into the recover option (second option in grub) and I can
>> use the startx command and it will bring up the xwindow shell and work
>> just fine.
>>
>> Please help me troubleshoot. I have been googling the topic but I have
>> not found the solution yet.
>>

> Hmmm, so this is a LinuxCNC install?  Will you actually be
> running LinuxCNC on this?  (Real time and laptops don't
> coexist all that well, although the trouble USUALLY only
> starts when you try to run actual real time stuff.)
>
> One of the big problems is that laptops do all sorts of
> system management stuff in the machine BIOS, such as battery
> management, thermal management, emergency shutdown upon low
> battery or CPU overheat, etc.
> Running RT OS's can disable part of these features on
> certain machines.
>
> Right now, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 (without the rtai
> option) on a few laptops, and it seems to work pretty well.
>
> One thing you can do is a Google search on the specific
> version of Debian and the laptop model, and see if there are
> known problems. I'm not clear, but it seems you say that if
> you use the recovery boot and start X manually, then it is
> stable.  So, that may mean that either X is starting at the
> wrong time, before something else is ready for it, or that
> somehow the manual start brings up a different X
> configuration that works better.  Possibly the graphics
> driver that is used is different in the two cases, lots of
> machines are sensitive to which graphics driver is used, and
> there are some different drivers that can use less
> accelerated graphics features and may be more reliable.
>
> If you give me some more specific info that "your dad's
> laptop" I might be able to dig up something pertinent.
>
> Jon

OK, Here is some more information on the computer. I thought "Dads
Laptop" was sufficient! LOL!

I don't need the real time kernel. I thought for my own sanity that I
had better install the same thing that I am using here. I was going to
update and pull a standard kernel during the update.

The weird thing about this is that it would boot fine two nights ago. I
powered it down when I finished with it Monday night and now it won't
finish booting unless in recovery mode.

I installed several applications using apt-get. Icedove, gedit,
GpicView, GnuCash, AisleRiot Solitare, Wine. I was trying to use wine
but in the end I did not need it.

Anyway about the computer

CPU AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1650 MHz
4gb RAM

using lspci I get the following
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor
Root Complex
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Deices [AMD] nee ATI
Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI
Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310]
00:11.0 SATA Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0S/B9x0 SATA controller [AHCI mode]
00:12.0 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0S/B9x0 USB OHCIO controller
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0S/B9x0 USB EHCI controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0S/B9x0 USB OHCIO controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0S/B9x0 USB EHCI controller
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus
Conroller (rev 42)
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia
(Intel HDA) (rev 40
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advancecd Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller (rev 40)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee SBx00 PCI to PCI
Bridge (rev 40)
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHIC2 Controller
00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:15.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
00:15.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB700/SB800/SB900 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
00:16.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OICIO Controller
00:16.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:18.0 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
00:18.1 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 6
00:18.6 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 5
00:18.7 Host Bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h
Processor Function 7
06:00.0 Network Controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless
Network Adapter (rev 01)
07:00.0 Ethernet Controller: ATheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0
Fast Ethernet (rev c1)

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks,

Jim