A note on German wiring from the early 1990's.  At that time the Green
Party came in and pushed fro higher recycling.  Many manufacturers went
with a higher recycled content in their wire insulation to meet the edict.
Mercedes Benz was one of the earliest hit by this change.  Harness in the
W124 line of vehicles in 1993-1995, were failing after 2 years in service.
The recycled content made the covering brittle with exposure to heat in the
near term and generally shorter lifetimes.  Sounds like this hit machine
parts as well from that era.