Ideas:

1) How close to the motor is the sensor.  The motor might have a large
external magnetic field.

2) I wonder if the shaft is magnetized while is spinning?  Is this reversed
if the shaft spins the other way?

3)  Is the sensor powered from a reliable DC supply that is in no way
connected or near the motor spindle power?

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:54 AM, <sa...@empirescreen.com> wrote:

> We purchased some gear tooth sensors in hopes of using one of the gears in
> the K&T for a spindle encoder.  Well - we ended up putting a shaft encoder
> in the gearbox.
>
> http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=620-1328-1-nd
>
> Well - move ahead a few years - We are putting a gear in the matsuura
> spindle for an encoder.  the 2 sensors on the gear seem to work great for
> quadrature signal.
>
> http://electronicsam.com/images/matsuura/sensors.jpg
> http://electronicsam.com/images/matsuura/oscope.jpg
>
> (that is 6000rpm)
>

> The issue is that we drilled about a .130 hole for the index but it acts
> odd.  If you rotate the spindle one direction it will pass the index and
> stay high until it passes the hole then you get a little index pulse low.
> If you run it the other direction it goes low after passing the index - and
> you get a positive index pulse at every passing of the hole.  I think it
> should stay low (or high) no matter what direction the spindle is turning
> (and get a pulse every pass of the index hole).
>
> clear as mud?
> thanks
> sam

Chris Albertson